Dental veneers are used in cosmetic dentistry for subtle changes, as well as dramatic transformations. Made from either porcelain or resin composite materials, dental veneers cover the front of the tooth to provide excellent esthetic results. Porcelain veneers are a great alternative to teeth whitening when the teeth are severely stained.
Porcelain Veneers vs. Resin Veneers
A porcelain veneer is a thin, translucent shell of tooth-like material. Porcelain veneers are highly stain resistant and have the same light reflecting properties of natural teeth. Resin veneers are made using a biocompatible resin material that is applied directly to the tooth and sculpted into place. These dental veneers require little to no preparation to the tooth and are not permanent. Your dentist will help you decide which type of dental veneer is right for you.
Dental Veneers may be used to:
- Close spaces between teeth
- Improve the appearance of crooked teeth
- Repair chipped or broken teeth
- Cover stained or discolored teeth
Porcelain Veneers in Virginia Beach, VA
Dr. Cappy Sinclair and Dr. Mark Reichley use advanced technology to create dental veneers in one office visit. Dr. Sinclair and Dr. Reichley utilize E4D technology in a majority of veneer cases to design and fabricate high end porcelain veneers in the comfort and convenience of their Virginia Beach dental office. This advanced system uses 3-D digital imaging and CAD/CAM software to create precision fit restorations that are virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth.
- Comprehensive Evaluation: A comprehensive cosmetic dentistry evaluation is the first step in the process of creating porcelain veneers. This will include a physical examination of the teeth, gums, jaw joints, and other support structures of the mouth. We are carefully looking for signs of stress, decay or instability, which are often the underlying cause for cosmetic dental concerns. Fixing the root of the problem, rather than simply covering the teeth with dental veneers will ensure that the restoration is long lasting and comfortable.
- Treatment Planning: With a clear picture of you condition, Dr. Sinclair or Dr. Reichley will prepare a personalized treatment plan. You can think of the treatment plan as being similar to a set of blue prints for an architect. They may use 2-D and 3-D models to demonstrate and test the proposed treatment using porcelain veneers.
- Design & Fabrication: The dentist will take a digital impression of the teeth using a high speed laser scanner. The images are sent to a computer to create plans for veneers that will cover your teeth. The veneers are made in just minutes using the E4D milling technology.
- Final Restoration: Because so much planning goes into the treatment process, the final step is quite simple and predictable. Dr. Sinclair or Dr. Reichley will try the dental veneers on for fit and color. Any minor adjustments are made and then the veneers are permanently cemented to the teeth.
- After Care: Porcelain veneers do require some special care. We will review instructions with you and show you how to floss and brush the dental veneers. Routine dental cleanings and examinations are important to ensure long term health and proper fit. Porcelain veneers are highly stain resistant and will look bright for years to come.
Porcelain Veneers FAQs
Do porcelain veneers cause tooth damage?
No, your new porcelain veneers should not cause any tooth damage. The material is durable and will protect your teeth from stains and damage. Properly placed veneers do not cause cavities. If you have tooth pain on a tooth that has a veneer, schedule a dental exam as soon as possible.
Can you whiten old dental veneers?
Unfortunately, dental veneers can not be whitened due to the material used to create them. We can however replace them with new veneers. Modern veneers are highly stain-resistant, so you will not need to whiten them at all.
Can I get more than one dental veneer in a single visit?
Yes. You can get multiple porcelain veneers in a single visit. Dr. Cappy Sinclair will evaluate your issues and create a treatment plan to address your oral needs. Treatment planning is an integral part of the process.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are interested in getting porcelain veneers in Norfolk, Chesapeake, or Virginia Beach, request an appointment online, or call us at (757) 453-7657 today. We will discuss your cosmetic goals and budget concerns to determine if porcelain veneers are right for you.